At dusk depart Halfmoon Bay in our catamaran for a cruise across Paterson Inlet to Little Glory Cove. During the cruise pass Ulva Island (a predator-free sanctuary) and learn about Stewart Island's rich history. Once at Little Glory Cove, disembark onto a wharf at the southern part of the peninsula known as The Neck.
The walk, led by your nature guide, is on a well-formed track across the peninsula, through spectacular coastal forest to a secluded sandy beach.
As dusk sets in and daylight diminishes, venture by torchlight through the native forest with the stars and forest night sounds around you. The walk will take about 45 minutes and the track emerges on to Ocean Beach. This wide sandy beach is where kiwi are often found feeding among the grasses and seaweed.
Here in the darkness you will get to see the Southern brown kiwi (Rakiura Tokoeka) - often searching for food.
Afterwards retrace your steps through the forest to Little Glory Wharf for your catamaran ride back to Oban.
- Scenic evening cruise across Paterson Inlet
- Experience nature guide
- Guided walk (approx. 2 hours)
- Complimentary tea & coffee on board
- Small group - 15 per guide, max 30 per night
- Departs: Stewart Island Experience, Main Wharf, Oban
- Departure times: These vary each month, according to dusk times
- Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
- Suitable for all ages 10 years and over
- 100% money back kiwi guarantee* - if kiwi are not encountered on the trip then we will refund 100% of the Wild Kiwi Encounter price.